Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sometimes I just want french fries

I woke up this morning sick with a cold. Sadly, I skipped French class and slept in.

When I woke up, I needed to get out of the apartment. I had planned to shop today after class at the marché on Boulevard Raspail. But, it's on the other side of town and I felt weird heading to that area after missing class this morning.

I started the day buying English language novels at Red Wheelbarrow Books in St. Paul's Village, just a few streets over from my apartment. I miss reading novels and am not ready for full length novels in French quite yet. I was really trying to only read, speak, and watch in French. My need to read is similar to my need to eat, breath, and bathe. In otherwise: critical. I bought The Reader by Bernard Schlink, Anita Shreve's Body Surfing, a short stories book called Kissing in Manhattan by David Schlicker, and In the Language of Love by Diane Schoemperlen. Diane Schoemperlen wrote one of my favorite books, Our Lady of the Lost and Found; that book is about an author whom the Virgin Mary decides to stay with on her vacation.

I walked up the Rue de Tarenne towards the Marché des Enfants-Rouges. It was beautiful and sunny, so I sat outdoors at a sidewalk café to have lunch and read. I had steak and french fries. When they handed me the English menu, I decided not to protest. It was wonderful to sit in the sun and eat french fries, with nowhere that I needed to be. Because I've already visited most of the museums and sites that I had to see, I don't feel pressured to fill my days to the brim.

After lunch, I made it to the Marché Des Enfants-Rouges. It was named after an orphanage and mission that inhabited this spot until 1777. Apparently, the name stuck. After seeing so many great markets, I was disappointed to find that this one was overpriced and didn't have the best quality fruits or vegetables. I bought some clementines and bananas and continued on.

By now, I was getting tired so I made my way towards Rue de Vieille Temple to head home. I turned on Rue du Temple and discovered lots of costume jewelry and purse stores. I so wish I had the energy to go in and shop at all of them today.

I did buy a few things during my errands today:
  • Tomme de brebis cheese from a cheese shop (French sheep's milk cheese similar to Spanish Manchego)
  • Strawberries, madeleine cookies, pre-made chicken cordon bleu, and cherry jam from the grocery store
  • Apricot sauce (like apple sauce) and mint tea from a specialty shop called Comptoirs Richard. Plan to go back and get coffee beans there next week.
  • 2 coconut pearls from a Chinese food shop
I bought my first bottle of French wine today. There is a French wine vendor with many locations around Paris called Nicholas. I figured I could get a good deal and not get laughed at when I explained what I wanted. I was right on both counts. The man was very nice and only used English sparingly. I told him what I preferred and he chose Domaine de Montgilet's (winery name) Coteaux de L'Aubance (vineyard/appelation), 2007 vintage. It was made and bottled in the Loire Valley.

Next door to Red Wheelbarrow Books is a shop called "Cuisine of Louisiana." I've been wanting to write about this shop since I first saw it and today it totally fit my mood. I've walked by this shop perhaps a half dozen times and laugh every time. They stock "American food" like Stove Top stuffing, Cheerios, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. It's tucked on a side street, so it most definitely is not for tourists. My guess is that sometimes ex-pats just have to have their Celestial Tea and think of home.

My last stop before home was at the patisserie 20 meters from my front door. I picked up a pain au chocolat for breakfast tomorrow. The mass amounts of children in line before and after me were excitedly talking about buying Mr. Freeze pops, the equivalent of Otter Pops in 30 flavors and colors like neon blue raspberry.

If Americans need their Kraft Mac and Cheese and salty french fries, why can't French children want a Mr. Freeze pop over buttery pain au chocolat?

No comments:

Post a Comment