Saturday, April 18, 2009

Saturday in London

David, Adnan, and I had breakfast this morning on the back porch of their flat. They actually built the patio themselves last weekend. David, one of the master Pagliaro cooks, made his version of eggs benedict Italian style, coffee, and fresh strawberries. Yum.

I went to the Victoria and Albert museum today. I'd never been and decided to go when I realized it is about a 1/2 mile from the flat. It was a beautiful day for a walk (sunny and 65). The museum blew me away with their outstanding collections on fashion, jewelry, theatre/movies in England, sculpture, and glass. And that was just what I saw in the 3+ hours that I wandered around. The bookstore's collection of tomes on fashion, jewelry, crafts, and history were stunning. I picked up a book on jewelry showcased at the museum.

In the center of the museum is a large courtyard with a café, a fountain/wading pool, and plenty of places to relax. Since I skipped lunch and was headed shortly to tea, I ate 1/2 a scone with clotted cream and 1/2 of my cappuccino. David highly recommended their scones, so I couldn't pass up the chance.

From V&A, I walked to The Milestone Hotel for high tea. They apparently didn't have my reservation, but they accommodated me anyway in their lounge. Which turned out to be perfect. The lounge itself seemed Scottish with green leather chairs and booths, tartan & embroidered pillows (beagle pillow!), green carpet with brown and turquoise stripes, and paintings of hunting. It was quiet, warm, and cozy. A couple on vacation from Yorkshire struck up a conversation about London and both of our travels.

I started with a glass of champagne. Tea consisted of finger sandwiches (cucumber/cream cheese, smoked salmon, egg salad, ham/cheese, chicken/macadamia nut), 2 scones with clotted cream and housemade strawberry jam, chocolate mousse, a macadamia nut/white chocolate chip cookie, and tiny desserts (fruit tart, lemon cupcake, vanilla cheesecake, chocolate eclair). Needless, I couldn't finish or come very close. Funny enough I can't remember what tea I ordered, English Breakfast I think. It was good and I have no plans to eat anything else for the rest of night or remotely sugary for days.

I talked to Nino on my walk back towards the apartment. This is the last time I'll speak to him before he lands in Paris on Monday.

I stopped at Gloucester Road Books on my walk back. Wonderful used bookstores seem to be all over this city. Next time, I plan to pick up a local guide called the Book Lover's Guide to London so I can explore more of these treasure troves. I did buy a book on Edward Hopper's pantings and one on American landscape painting in the mid-1800s, both published by London's Tate Museum and at great prices when you consider the fabulous exchange rate right now.

I plan to spend a quiet evening at the apartment tonight while David and Adnan meet some of their friends downtown for dinner and drinks. After last night's party and today's outings, I'd like quiet evening on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment