Thursday, April 30, 2009

The last Sunday in Paris

As I write this from Portland, here's what I want to remember about my last Sunday in Paris.

Nino and I went to the Marché Bastille one last time, mostly so I could take photos. The smell of the roasting chickens, the crowd, and the seasonal fruits and veggies are what I will remember most.

In the afternoon, we visited two more churchs. Tried for a third time to see the Opera Garnier and again the main auditorium was closed.

We had a quiet dinner at the apartment that evening.

After dinner, I decided that I wanted to take a walk by the Seine and see the sunset. Nino chose not to come because he just wanted to stay in for the evening.

I left about 8:45pm and made it to the Seine as right as the sun was setting over the river. Once I started walking, I couldn't stop. I walked along the river to Notre Dame Cathedral and then kept going all the way until I reached the Eiffel Tower. By this time, it was completely dark. Just as I reached the Tower, it lit up in thousands of white flashing lights. The only thing which would have made the evening more perfect was Nino joining me.

I found a Metro station and realized that I had been gone almost two hours. Needless to say, by the time I walked in in about 11pm, Nino was not happy that I had been gone so long. I truly didn't mean to leave him on his own all evening. As Nino said, I get distracted by the pretty flashing lights sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment