Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An average day

I spent the morning working from my petite apartment, listening to music and watching the British commentators discuss the G20 summit.

About 1pm, I headed to the Musée D'Orsay. It's probably my favorite Parisian museum since it primarily includes 19th and early 20th century art. I decided to grab lunch in the cafeteria and was sorely disappointed by the selection. I've eaten here several times over the years and always remember it as a treat. Either the quality has declined or my taste has improved. Not sure which.

I love walking through the galleries. I stopped frequently to listen to guides in both French and English discuss the paintings. Things in Paris are becoming more crowded, particularly with school groups, since we're getting closer to Easter. Many groups were in the museum today.

M absolute favorite painting is Alexandre Cabanel's Birth of Venus. I sat for awhile in the gallery where this masterpiece hangs, just staring. I may go back to see it.

Since I was starving, I tried my luck once again and ventured into the more upscale Musée D'Orsay café for a café creme and a small pastry. Good fortune struck. Both the coffee and cheesecake were great.

Headed out of the museum, only to be nearly accosted by a gypsy woman running a scam. I deftly avoided her and moved on. I despise the criminals who prey on tourists. I am on guard constantly around the museums precisely because of people like this. Unless I have a destination in mind, I avoid the tourist sections of town. In otherwise, no Eiffel Tower visit on this trip.

I crossed the Seine and walked to the Tuileries Garden, outside the Louvre. The chairs around the ponds were mostly occupied. I found a chair and wrote a few postcards in the waning afternoon sun. The Louvre is open until 8pm tonight, so I headed there next. I've been to the Louvre before so I didn't plan to stop there on this trip. But, there's a temporary exhibit on Egyptian art right now that I wanted to check out. Unfortunately, my museum pass wasn't good for the exhibit; they wanted another 11 euros to enter (equivalent $14). I didn't want to see the exhibit that much.

Found the secret entrance/exit out of the Louvre, jumped on the Metro, and headed home. I unconsciously breathed a sigh of relief upon reaching the Marais and the Village of Saint Paul. I picked up a small baguette for dinner and walked the rest of the way to the apartment.

Without Nino here to prod me, I stay in at night. I heated up my leftover gnochhi, sautéed eggplant, and aged manchego. Cut a little more manchego from my wedge, poured some olive oil, and sliced up the baguette. I finished dinner with my slice of tarte normande from last night since I fell asleep long before I was hungry for it. (It had cranberries in it, btw).

Right now, I'm talking to Nino and the beagles via Skype. Then, I plan to watch a French movie, Priceless, with Audrey Tautou before hitting the sack and starting all over again on another adventure with Jean Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment