Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back to class Tuesday

Class was back in session today. Lots of new international students joined including ones from Brazil, Botswana, and Mexico. The students from Estonia, Russia, and Korean are also still on board. The Americans previously in the class have stopped or moved on to other courses. One New Yorker, Nilya, shares my passion for French and the desire for more Americans to speak a second language. It was fantastic to have so many international students once again.

After class, I stopped through the Marché Raspail and bought handmade, packaged crepes for home and some more dried strawberries from Provence. I had an amusing time trying to help an older American couple try to figure out the French word for chervil. Alas, neither the vendor nor I could help them. Although the vendor appreciated my help enough (and maybe remembered me from last week) that he spoke 100% in French to me and reminded me of his market days over the next week since he's apparently going on vacation. That felt nice.

I made crepes for lunch at home today: 1 with sheep's milk cheese and strawberries and 2 with lemon, butter, and sugar. Yummy!

I got the chance to talk to Nino and our friends the Mingus family over Skype this evening. Kat, John, Kyra, and Matt are visiting Nino this week. We Skyped while they had breakfast and I researched a place for dinner. They're off to the Oregon Zoo today.

This evening, I had a ticket to see the Martha Graham Dance Company at the Chatelet Theatre. Before the show I stopped and had French-Indian food. The garlic-cheese naan with plum sauce was to die for. Also enjoyed the "Nirvana" cocktail, lamb tikka masala, and espresso.

The dancers were excellent. I've always wanted to see this American modern dance troupe and was happy at the opportunity to see them at an old Paris establishment. The Chatelet Theatre was built in 1862, but is not one of the historic venues popular with tourists. I only chose the venue because of the show. I wasn't disappointed in the least, although the building could use some renovation.

After the show got out about 10:30pm, I stopped in the Chatelet area for Italian gelato. Italian gelato shops are incredibly popular here in Paris. Caught the Metro and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment