Saturday, March 28, 2009

March 28

I tore myself away from French music videos and a curious soap opera to venture to the Marché Bastille. Too bad I confused the words for Saturday and Sunday; the market is actually tomorrow.

I had a lovely time wandering the Marais today. I stumbled onto French discount store Tati where I purchased an insanely cheap pair of turquoise cotton slippers and some dish towels for my towel-less kitchen. Next door was French department store Monoprix, similar to Target. I picked up a slice of pizza and a strawberry macaroon for lunch as I continued to wander.

After stopping for a rest in a pretty neighborhood parc, I continued on until I saw a sign pointing towards the French Archives, a museum dedicated to the history of France. As I got there, I noticed a placard for the Musée Picasso, a museum high on my To Do list, so I continued on instead turning on the Rue Vielle Temple. Many boutiques and fun window shopping. Turned many wrong corners looking for the Picasso museum and found the Musée Carnavalet and Places des Vosges. The Place des Vosges parc square was full of Parisians and tourists alike enjoying their Saturday.

Musée Carnavalet covers the history of Paris, everything from art to interior design and history. Paintings, sculptures, and furniture galore.

I finally found the Picasso museum. I know a lot about Picasso and late 19th century and 20th century art. I didn't know that Picasso was such as avid sculptor. I found his many sculptures fascinating, but strange. I took quite a few photos until I was told it's forbidden. Oops. Oh well.

By now the sunny sky was beginning to could; drizzle falling shortly after. I ducked into a To Go food counter for a sugar cinnamon crepe. I munched on the crepe and realized that I was almost home.

Got back just in time to miss the downpour. Plan to talk to take a nap tout de suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment